Individuals who come from a country with a reciprocal licensing agreement with Canada in Alberta can exchange their driver`s licence for an Alberta licence of the same class. These countries are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of Man, Japan, Republic of Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom and United States. To change your licence, you must give us your licence (you will not be able to keep it, as we must keep it and send it to the Special Investigation Unit) and also provide us with proof of residency in Alberta and proof of permission to remain in Canada and vision screening. In this diagram, you will find documents that you can bring. If you exchange a valid driver`s license from one of the legal systems listed below, you can obtain your Alberta licence without a knowledge or road test: French residents with a valid driver`s licence issued by the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Newfoundland-Labrador can drive cars in France with their Canadian driver`s license for an entire year. Before the one-year period expires, they can use their reciprocal agreements to exchange their licences for the French. If you are driving in Alberta with your foreign driver`s licence, it is strongly recommended that you receive an identity card from your national jurisdiction before coming to Alberta. To exchange a license from a jurisdiction that does not agree, you must pass a knowledge and road test. 4. Wait about two weeks before the special investigation unit has authenticated your documents. If you have found that the documents are genuine, they update your car file with the number of years of driving experience that you are credited with. In some cases, the driver`s licence does not provide enough information about the date of the first licence (DFL) to credit you with several years of driving experience. You may need to contact the court that issued the licence for a letter confirming the date of the first licence.

Please note that drivers with an Ontario licence must have had their licence for at least 24 months in the past 3 years. 3. Take the Class 7 knowledge test. The test is available in 30 languages. We advise you to buy a driving guide in the language you want to stop on the test. The cost is the same for each language – $17.00. The test is also available in English Audio for $30.00. If you need to take the test with the help of a translator, we do not offer this service, but we can refer you to a certified cheap translator to offer this service.